How do I purchase the online Responsible Vendor or Security Course to receive my certification?
- Go to www.amtservicesla.com and choose the course you need to take. You may also ‘bundle’ both courses if you need both certifications. Just click on the course you need to take and you can begin.
- Proceed with completing the course. You can stop and resume the course without losing your progress and procced at your own pace. You must complete the course before you are able to take the exam.
- After completing the course videos and scenario questions, you may proceed to the exam
After completing and passing the exam you will receive a Temporary Permit that proves you took the course and passed the exam. You will need to either print that up or you can take a screen shot of it. You will then need to go to the ATC government web site: www.atc.la.gov/printrv.cfm to obtain and print or screen shot your permit yourself. The temporary permit provides that information for you.
When does my Responsible Vendor or Security Permit expire?
Louisiana Responsible Vendor and Security permits are issued and administered by the Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control (ATC) following completion of an approved training course. The permit is issued to the individual employee, not the vendor for whom the employee works, and is valid statewide for a period of four years from the completion unless suspended or revoked. Every permit shall expire on the last day of the month, four years after the month that the individual successfully completed the Responsible Vendor education course. If you are still in the industry after 4 years, you must renew your permit again by attending an Instructor led class or signing up online.
Why should I use AMT Services Online Program?
AMT Services is a LOCAL state approved and certified Louisiana Responsible Vendor Training Program. We have been providing the necessary training classes for those who are authorized to sell or serve alcoholic beverages in the normal course of employment for over 15 years. Alcohol training provides practical, yet comprehensive, knowledge that assists all front-of-the-house staff in learning what they need to know to serve and sell alcohol responsibly. The Louisiana Responsible Vendor program includes facts about the effects of alcohol, methods of detecting intoxicated patrons, intervention methods, blood alcohol concentration (BAC), and a test for servers and a course completion receipt. The program, both the online course and instructor led classes, incorporates laws and regulations specific to Louisiana.
Who needs to obtain a Responsible Vendor or Security permit?
The Louisiana Responsible Vendor Program was created by the Louisiana Legislature in 1997. It became mandatory January 1, 2000. Under the provisions of the program, any person who is authorized to sell or serve beverage alcohol in the normal course of his or her employment or deals with customers who purchase or consume beverage alcohol must successfully attend and pass a Certified Responsible Vendor Training course and obtain a Responsible Vendor Server or Security Permit within 45 days of the first day of employment.
How do I obtain another copy of my permit if I have lost my original?
You must go to the ATC government website to obtain and retrieve your permit yourself at any time: www.atc.la.gov/printrv.cfm
The Louisiana Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control will no longer mail Responsible Vendor or Security permits to the individual or to Providers. When an individual passes a Responsible Vendor Course, they will be able to access their Responsible Vendor or Security permits on their Smartphones, Tablets or Computer. You may print up your permit if you would like a physical copy or you can take a screen shot of it 14-21 business days after completing the course. You can obtain a replacement responsible vendor permit on the ATC website under “permits” then “responsible vendor” then “print/download your RV permit.”
You may also visit ATC’s headquarters:
7979 Independence Blvd. Suite 101z
Baton Rouge, LA 70806
You must provide a valid picture ID. You may receive your permit the same day.
What happens if I do not pass the examination?
An examination will be provided at the completion of the course. Students must complete the course in order to take the examination. The exam will consist of 20 questions. A passing score of 70% or higher is required. Louisiana regulations state that if the student fails, they can retake the course once without being charged. If they fail again, they will have to repurchase the course and be required to retake the entire course.
I have an ABO permit from another state…is that one valid in Louisiana?
Permits from other states are not valid in Louisiana. You must receive training that incorporates laws and regulations specific to Louisiana by attending an approved Responsible Vendor training program.
Is the owner of an alcoholic beverage or tobacco outlet required to have a responsible vendor permit?
No, owners are not required to obtain a responsible vendor permit. However, owners who sell or serve alcoholic beverages or tobacco products to persons under the legal age face maximum penalties.
I have a Louisiana responsible vendor permit; do I need a Parish permit?
Any vendor or server subject to a local ordinance requiring participation by the vendor or its employees in a server or security personnel training or licensing program shall be exempt from the local server training and licensing regulation if the vendor is certified as a responsible vendor under the provisions of the State law. However, this does not apply to any local seller or server licensing regulations or ordinances that were in effect on June 1, 1997. Please check with your local licensing authority for additional information.
If I send my employees to a responsible vendor class and they still sell to minors am I responsible?
In this scenario, the business would receive a warning for the first violation. The business would receive a citation for any additional violations within a three year period. However, when assessing penalties to permit holders, ATC takes into consideration compliance with the responsible vendor program and other methods taken by business owners to prevent the sale of alcoholic beverages and tobacco products to person under the legal drinking age.
Is a permit required for my business to give customers complimentary alcoholic beverages?
Yes, a permit is required of any business that serves alcoholic beverages.
What is the minimum age to sell or serve alcoholic beverages?
- The minimum age to prepare, sell or serve alcoholic beverages in a bar or restaurant is 18 years.
- Persons under the age of 18 years are allowed to sell or serve alcoholic beverages, under immediate supervision, in a package store (where the sale or handling of alcoholic beverages does not constitute the main business). However, the employer must fill out an “Application to Employ Minors Under 18” form and return it to the Louisiana Workforce Commission.
What is the minimum age to work in or enter a bar?
No one under the age of 18 years is permitted on a bar premises at any time (even during private events), unless the person under the age of 18 years is a musician performing in a band on the premises under written contract with the permittee for a specified period and is under the direct supervision of his/her parent or guardian during such time.
Can a minor play in a band in a bar?
Yes, if the minor is on the premises under written contract with the bar permit holder for a specified period and is under the direct supervision of his/her parent or guardian during such time.
Can a minor sit at the bar in a restaurant?
Persons under the age of 18 years are prohibited in any area where the principle commodity served is alcoholic beverages.
Can a convicted felon work in business where the primary purpose is to sell alcoholic beverages, such as a bar or a Class C Package Store?
;No, a convicted felon cannot work in a bar (Class A – General) or any business whose primary purpose is to sell alcoholic beverages (Class C – Package Store) in any capacity unless 10 years have elapsed since the completion of the sentence and the felony was not a crime of violence.
What are acceptable forms of identification to ensure that a person is above the legal age to purchase alcoholic beverages?
- A valid, current, Louisiana driver’s license which contains a photograph of the person presenting the driver’s license;
- A valid, current, driver’s license of another state which contains a photograph of the person and birth date of the person submitting the driver’s license;
- A valid, current, special identification card issued by the state of Louisiana pursuant to R.S. 40:1321 containing a photograph of the person submitting the identification card;
- A valid, current, special identification card of another state which contains a photograph of the person and birth date of the person submitting the identification card;
- A valid, current, passport or visa issued by the federal government or another country or nation, that contains a permanently attached photograph of the person and the date of birth of the person submitting the passport or visa;
- A valid, current, military or federal identification card issued by the federal government containing a photograph of the person and date of birth of the person submitting the identification card;
- Each form of identification listed above must on its face establish the age of the person as 21 years or older, and there must be no reason to doubt the authenticity or correctness of the identification. No form of identification mentioned above shall be accepted as proof of age if it is expired, defaced, mutilated, or altered. If the state identification submitted is a duplicate the person shall submit additional identification which contains the name, date of birth, and photograph of that person. A duplicate driver’s licenses shall be considered lawful identification and a person shall not be required to submit additional information. In addition, an educational institution identification card, check cashing identification card, or employee identification card shall not be considered as lawful identification
Who is required to have a tobacco permit from ATC?
Every person or business who sells or offers for sale at retail cigars, cigarettes, other tobacco products, alternative nicotine products or vapor products within this State. Every person or business who sells or offers for sale at wholesale, cigars, cigarettes or other tobacco products into or within this State.
Do I need a permit to sell E-cigarettes?
Yes, a permit is required to sell electronic cigarettes, alternative nicotine products and vapor products at retail in and within this State
What is the legal age to purchase electronic cigarettes, alternative nicotine products and vapor products?
21 years of age.
Are persons under 18 years of age allowed to work in retail stores that sell tobacco products?
Yes, minors may handle packaged tobacco products as part of the course and scope of their employment. However, the employer must fill out an “Application to Employ Minors Under 18” form and return it to the Louisiana Workforce Commission.
Can single cigarettes be sold at retail?
No, state and federal law prohibit the sale of cigarettes in any packaging other than the original package from the manufacturer that contains 20 cigarettes.